Adventure activities in the Tsitsikamma
- Storms River
- Oyster Bay
- Storms River
- Oyster Bay
Last Updated: July 2017
Contact Tsitsikamma Tourism - Oudebosch Info
- Longitude: -33.9740790467
- Latitude: 23.8863158226
About Adventure activities in the Tsitsikamma
The Tsitsikamma has an adventure activity for each and everybody ranging from adrenaline pumping adventures to relaxing experiences. With so much to do, this list (in no particular order) have been compiled from the top 10 lists as recommended by Andelomi Forest Lodge, The Village Lodge, Bishops Cove Lodge and Oyster Bay Lodge
- Tsitsikamma Canopy Tour - The original canopy tour. Enjoy the unequaled beauty of the indigenous forest high up on ten treetop platforms. Gently glide along in a harness, on steel cables 30 meters above the forest floor. Many of the platforms are built around giant Outeniqua Yellowwood trees that are up to 700 years old! Standing within the crown of these giants and looking down at the lush forest floor thirty metres below is an experience of a lifetime. The scenery and birdlife is spectacular and professional guides ensure your safety while keeping you informed about interesting features of the forest ecology.
- Kayak and Lilo Tour by Untouched Adventures - The Kayak & Lilo Adventure up the Storms River Mouth is an up close and personal encounter with Tsitsikamma’s famous Storms River. Starting on the Kayaks we paddle up the river, passing the bats cave, steep cliffs and majestic views. At the rocks we disembark our kayaks and jump on the inflatable Lilo’s to explore deeper into the gorge and experience a part of the Storms River that you can’t get to by boat! Gently wading deeper into the untouched gorge and finishing off with some cliff jumps before returning to the restcamp area.
- Bungee jump off the Bloukrans Bridge - The view from Africa’s highest bridge (216 meters) captures all the majesty and tranquility of the Bloukrans River valley. But there is nothing tranquil about throwing yourself more than 200 metres down towards the river below. Recognised as the ‘highest bungee from a bridge’ in the world, Bloukrans Bungy uses pendulum bungee technology to ensure the smoothest, most comfortable bungee jump possible. Jumpers are secured in a full-body harness combined with an ankle connection. Bridhe walks to the middle is also offered to those not wanting to jump but still wanting to go out to the middle.
- Tsitsikamma Segway Tour - Glide along on these easy to use Offroad Self-Balancing-2-Wheeled-Personal-Transporters (aka SEGWAY) and explore Storms River Village and the surrounding forest on a guided trip. Included in the 1 hour Segway tour is a 15-20 minute training session on the training and then take a journey through the quaint Stormsriver Village and follow one of a selection of routes among cool pine forest and indigenous forest. The 2 hour tour takes you through the quaint Stormsriver Village, and into the cool pine forests. From there you enter the ancient indigenous Tsitsikamma Forests along the paths to the famous and majestic 1000 year old Tsitsikamma BIG Tree and back to the village.
- Tsitsikamma Falls Adventures zipline - The zipline tour consisting of 8 slides is done in a harness fitted with a braking system and takes one back and forth across the Kruis river. The longest slide is 211 metres and average length is 100 metres. The river banks below are full of indigenous trees including yellowwoods while you cross over two waterfalls along the way. The scenery changes as you zip along is amazing and dominated by Witelspeak in the Tsitsikamma Mountains to the north.
- Blackwater Tubing - Blackwater Tubing, the unique aqua adventure delivers whole heap of fun, and is the ultimate way to explore the exquisite scenes of the Tsitsikamma. The excursion on one man inflatable river tubes takes place on the Storms River in the Plaatbos Nature reserve and Tsitsikamma National Park. This untouched river adventure is one of fun-filled hours of paddling, swimming, exquisite and unique nature scenes and optional rock and tube jumps up to 8m high
- Quad biking at Tsitsikamma Adventure Land - The quad biking trails at Tsitsikamma Adventure Land are the most beautiful in the Tsitsikamma, boasting views of pine forests, open green pastures, the Tsitsikamma Mountains and 230m above sea level, breath taking views from the Look Out Point of the rugged Tsitsikamma coastline and Tsitsikamma National Park. You will be given a safety briefing and practice ride before heading out with our fun and adventurous guides. We specialize in giving our guests an experience well worth coming back for. Be prepared to get dirty.
- Woodcutters Journey with Storms River Adventures - Journey with us down the old Storms River Pass and experience the indigenous forest from the comfort of a specially designed vehicle. Follow the elephant trail, passing yellowwoods and stinkwoods while hearing about the history of the area and the indigenous flora and fauna. Enjoy a delicious lunch or tea at a beautiful picnic site next to the Storms River, where wagons outspanned more than a century ago.
- Oyster Bay Dune Safari - The tour covers 14 kilometres and is a circular route starting at Oyster Bay Lodge and conducted by an adventure guide. You travel through the natural vegetation and Fynbos where there are many plant species to identify. The area is also known to have a vast variety of bird life and great scenic beauty. To finish off, a 4x4ing trip is done through the wind-drift dunes and back across the Fynbos vegetation.
- Horse Riding
- Experience the Tsitsikamma on horseback in the Crags with Hog Hollow Horse Trails. Choose between a one hour farm trail with views over the mountains and forest, a two hour forest trail with wildlife, or a three hour Cruise The Crags Trail, riding on horse back to attractions in the area.
- Experience the beauty of the Tsitsikamma and boutique wine farms in the Crags Winelands from the comfort of a horse drawn carriage. Enjoy magnificent views over mountains, forest and farmland, whilst sipping local wine in the company of your fellow carriage riders. The vintage 10-seater carriage is drawn by two beautiful Percherons and guides will entertain you with interesting facts and information regarding the history of the area, its people and the local wine industry. Refreshments are served during the carriage ride.
- Have an unforgettable experience while exploring the coastal reserve at Oyster Bay Lodge from horseback and have a gallop or trot along our 3,5 km private beach next to the waves of the Indian Ocean
- The Tsitsikamma Awesome Foursome package
After enjoying the exciting adventure activities the Tsitsikamma has to offer, wind down by doing the following:
- Walks and short hikes - Hiking trails and walks through the forest my not be adrenalin pumping, but it is seen as an adventure by some. It may also be necessary after doing all the adventure activities mentioned above.
- Some people don't necessarily like walking in the forest, but they do like chasing around a little white ball. So how about something a bit more relaxing like a round of golf at the Fynbos Golf Club.
- Enjoy a burger and milkshake at Marilyn's 60's Diner
- Toast the day with one of the locally produced craft beers at the Tsitsikamma Craft Brewery
- Stop at Oudebosch Farm Stall for coffee and cake, lunch or have their famous roosterkoek with the even more famous Ginger the cat