Mount Melsetter, a Karoo Experience
Last Updated: 1 month ago
Contact Mike And Candy Ferrar
- Longitude: 25.470422
- Latitude: -31.455397
- Bed And Breakfast
- Farm Getaway
About Mount Melsetter, a Karoo Experience
Mount Melsetter, a Karoo Experience, provides a superb venue to break away from the pressures of your normal day to day living. The Karoo House lies under the gaze of Mount Melsetter itself, which rises to just over 5000 feet, a landmark looming large over the surrounding Karoo, due east of Middelburg.
It sprawls in rolling lawns on the banks of the Great Brak River, surrounded by trees, gardens, a pool and gazebo, clay tennis court, grass volleyball court, and horse paddocks. In the midst of the dry, almost lifeless Karoo - this is an oasis of greenery which greets the weary traveller like a mirage, a dream of a gracious era that used to be.
Typically colonial, the large gracious Karoo House is elegantly furnished, with five double bedrooms, five bathrooms – some en suite – a fireside lounge, a DSTV equipped TV Lounge, the Saddlebum Pub, 14 seater dining room and comfortable porches.
The guest lodge consists of 5 bedrooms.
The main double bedroom is en suite with a king size bed, easily changed to twin beds with private outside access. The family suite is furnished with a king sized bed and two single beds,with bathroom en suite. Two twin bedded double rooms, each with wash hand basins and with access to a private bathroom. One small bedroom with wash hand basin and double bed. In exceptional circumstances with overflow, the library has a comfortable pull out couch.
Map and Directions to Mount Melsetter, a Karoo Experience
GPS : 31° 27' 19.43" S / 25° 28' 13.52" E
From the N1
- Take exit 8 signed "Bethulie, Gariep Dam" and turn south towards the dam
- Turn left onto the R58 towards Venterstad
- Turn right onto the R390 to Steynsburg
- At the T-junction in Steynsburg turn right towards Middelburg
- Stay on the R56 and pass the turn off to Hofmeyr
- 31 km past the Hofmeyr turnoff the gate to Mount Melsetter Karoo House is on the right.
- Take the N9 towards Middelburg
- Approaching Middelburg the road forks. Bear right signed "N9 Colesberg"
- Turn left at the sign R56 Middelburg, Steynsburg
- At the end of the ramp turn left towards Rosmead and Steynsburg
- 45 kms from here the gate to Mount Melsetter Karoo House is on the left.